Monday, October 8, 2007

The New York Subway: Episode 1

I was studying like a madwoman tonight. I have a midterm in Financial Management next week. On my way back from the library, I got a taste of just how weird NYC can be--and frankly how bizarre the people in this city can be.

Weird Art Lady

I watched a woman bring in a long 6 or 7 foot plus and approximately 1 foot wide piece of art into the subway. Weird Art Lady was young and on her cell phone (it was an above ground station). She wasn't paying attention at all--almost hit me with the thing and proceeded to lay it down on the floor on its end. So, as fellow subway riders rush to make this train (it's waiting a little for them) each of them has to step over it to get into the train car.

Multiple people, including me, are watching and waiting for someone to trip over this stupid thing. And each of us is secretly wondering who the hell this Weird Art Lady thinks she is, laying something like that in the middle of the entrance.

And lo and behold, just before the train doors close, a mother and daughter rush onto the train and the daughter trips and falls over the item. Everyone wants to make sure that she is okay. She says she is, although I imagine she was more embarrassed than anything else.

Then her mother proceeds to have a conversation with her about how Weird Art Lady should apologize. Weird Art Lady never does. I was on the train for five minutes watching the mother fume.

So, what I want to know is why Weird Art Lady didn't apologize at all. Her inconsiderate actions and indifference directly contributed to another person's pain and suffering. I don't get it. It was clearly a safety hazard--and if Weird Art Lady wasn't so pretty, I think the train conductor would have said something.

Meanwhile
During all the drama detailed above, a young, about my age, Hassidic Jewish man got on the train. (He stepped over the Weird Art Lady's shit too.) I made eye contact with said man and gave a slight smile. (I smile at everyone--it's my default NYC face) Then my eyes returned to my reading (on traditional and customary court structures in Tanzania).

Then he starts talking to me: "You're Jewish, right?"

I nod yes.

Him: "What do you do?"

Me: "I'm a graduate student."

Him: "Oh. Are you married, do you have a boy yet?"

Me: Think for a moment...is he asking if I have a male child or a boyfriend?
"No, I'm not married."

Him: "How old are you?"

Me: "26."

Him: "Oh, you're too old for me then."

Me: "Oh well." Fake smile.

Him: "So, do you have a boy?"

Me: "Yes, I have a boyfriend." Another fake smile.

Him: "Oh."

Me: Watch the mother and girl stare at Weird Art Lady and wait for her to apologize. Exit the train car gracefully.

If I keep missing these fish in the sea--I think I might be better off.



No comments: